Sunday, July 6, 2008

Is Your Soul Ajar?


"The soul should always stand ajar, ready to welcome the ecstatic experience. " -- Emily Dickinson

Significant words from our Emily. After a few minutes reflection, I think I must confess that my soul is not quite as 'ajar' as I long for it to be. Responsibilities, agendas, details, road construction, overdue library books, my missing croc, wailing infants, airport security, poison ivy attacks, the agonizing news report, spilled milk -- all add up to a gradual closing of my soul's portal.

In the rush of the day's list, it's all too easy to neglect the soul-work that gives meaning to the tasks. How do you keep a healthy, vibrant soul ...... eager to embrace the ecstatic experience, outside of the monastery, in the humdrum lane of life? Rereading Emily's quote I recognize the 'should' word and contemplate how that word itself has gotten me into trouble in the past.

Take a deep breath friends. [I read that advice everywhere.] When I 'remember' to breath with intention and focus, I experience for myself the benefits touted by so many differing authorities. Could it really be as simple as that? Oxygen? Mindfulness? Certainly a step in the right direction..... it's the remembering to act on what I know that can be such a missing puzzle piece for me.

And then there are sights that take your breath away. Or the smell of a vanilla candle burning. Or a late Matisse master-piece of simplicity. Or a symphony's tuning in anticipation, before that orchestrated down beat. Or the image of a red barn against the crop of grain on the rolling hillside. Or a morning dove's coo. Or that infant sighing and finally snoodling completely in your aching arms into a hard fought, deep sleep. Or the majesty of the astounding view of the Grand Canyon from the helicopter perspective above, cresting over the first ridge. Or the crystal purity of the water at shore's edge along the glintering white sands. Or a tree that is caught in the act of dancing. And suddenly all is right with the world. An ecstatic experience!! And my soul rejoices.
You shall go out with joy and be led forth in peace. The mountains and the hills before you shall break forth into singing, and all the trees of the field shall clap their hands. -Isaiah 55:12
P.S. I discovered the dancing tree photograph while searching on Photo-Bucket under dance. I am completely mesmerized by this image, but have no idea who to attribute the photograph to. It's a masterpiece to be sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LUV to hear from you! Please leave your thoughts so we can interact!!

Thanks for your support! I am so appreciative of your pins!

Thanks for your support! I am so appreciative of your pins!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...