Sunday, May 16, 2010

Saint and Faith




Yesterday was my first BC walk following the loss of my dear friend Pat, also known to many as Saint. It's been just 6 weeks since she left us here on earth, with an enormous gap in our hearts. I have traditionally written names of survivors on my official survivor t-shirt, while having the names of our angels written up around the shoulders. I just couldn't get myself started on listing names this year. I couldn't face moving Saint to the upper row -- with the angel choir.

I posted a brief post on FB with my lament. As often happens, there was a rally of support and having expressed my discomfort I was then able to get those names written. None the less my heart was very heavy to get the 'listing' underway. So often we hear comments at diagnosis, "Well that's the best cancer to get, no one dies from that anymore." A well intentioned sentiment, but one that is far from being accurate. Every year about 40,000 people's lives are cut short due to Breast Cancer and by far, most of those are women. Ah. I digress.

The FB posts said upbeat things like, "she'll be walking with you this year......"

I took those thoughts to mean metaphorically, as in, she'll be in your heart.

As we were waiting for the walk to get underway, my new pal Sally was explaining my scarf to her family members. She pulled out a ribbon to show that folks had written messages on these many ribbons. Lo and behold. Out of the three or four hundred choices, Sally pulled out THE very one that someone in Louisiana had 'unknowingly' written: Saints -- Faith -- Courage -- Love. I was amazed. I seriously couldn't believe it. This was certainly beyond a coincidence. This was a "God-wink" for certain. Flooded with memories, thoughts, emotions.... the whole nine yards. I guess Saint would indeed be walking with me.

That's just the beginning of the story. We were about half way around our 5K when we heard drummers off in the distance. As we got closer one of their chaparones was standing there to wave us on with her encouragement. I couldn't believe her t-shirt. Look closely, above, it reads: "SAINTS," with actual angel wings!!!!

Then I saw their sign. Then I saw the THANK YOU sign. Wowwowow. Seriously. I took a few pictures with my heart spinning. We gradually moved on with the crowd, with me watching back over my shoulder. Before I knew it there was a bearded gentleman reaching out his hand to shake mine. His t-shirt was also fitting: "Keep the FAITH."

Saint & Faith. Faith & Saint. Peanut butter & jelly. Jelly & peanut butter. She really was there with me. I just had to be on the lookout for the signs along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LUV to hear from you! Please leave your thoughts so we can interact!!

Thanks for your support! I am so appreciative of your pins!

Thanks for your support! I am so appreciative of your pins!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...