Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Senior Yearbook Montage








Warm spring day. College campus. Digital camera. Too-much-time-on-our-hands. Don't you just love the photo montage in the movie where they pose all the different outfits that are possible selections for the upcoming event, be it prom or wedding? Well we had all of the ingredients necessary for a hilarious afternoon. These are only five of the several, several dozen possible choices. Fortunately everyone else was preoccupied with some sort of responsibility or other -- so the two of us were left to our own devices. Sarah thought maybe there was a possible image for a future album J-card. In any case, our posing and repositioning had us both in stitches and the only one who wondered what we were up to was the custodian cleaning up after the break yummies. Some shenanigans are just too good to keep to yourself.

***I don't remember when I last wrote here about my ever-growing, ever-evolving pink scarf. I know that I had it in Louisiana right before my surgery. In a nutshell. I bought a pink scarf at the dollar store that had big looped-i-loos of yarn. Then at my first conference presentation following my first Breast Cancer diagnosis & surgery, I asked the gals to tie on a ribbon to help me 'decorate' it. Anyhow. Apparently I said something to the effect of "tie it on with a prayer or a blessing or a wish." [Allen was there, so he knows and told me so.] Anyhow, someone in Whitewater WI had the brilliant idea to WRITE their prayer, blessing or wish upon their ribbon. Well that led to others writing out their encouragement. It grew & grew & grew that first waltz thru cancer-land. I used to read it over & over & over. Then I kinda got readjusted to life and put it away, actually forgetting where I put it -- when I wanted it for a Komen walk. Eventually I found it again. Just in time for my second diagnosis. So this year it's been to Louisiana & Richmond, VA & Baltimore & Pittsburgh and Columbus OH. I've taken to reading it all over again.

Some write scripture passages. Others write mini-prayers. Some add insightful quotes or tidbits. Some are personal jokes. Others are references to my work. Some reference the place or date. A few leave their email addresses and say email me anytime. One had a phone number. A ribbon added in Pittsburgh by a fellow quilter says, "When life goes to pieces, make a beautiful quilt."

One of the recent ribbon addition says: "You are changing the world, one song at a time." That one really made me pause & take stock. Made me decide to put on my big girl panties and appreciate all of my blessings, all over again. The encouragement you have offered upon a ribbon has held me up, has held me together for over three years now. The ribbons are a testament of a shared faith, of the power of women, of the strength we share in our community of educators. It is one part yearning for a cure, one part wishing me into acceptance, one part art project, one part therapy. I thank you from the bottom of my heart. This weekend is my fourth year to walk in a spring Komen event. I'll wear my scarf. I'll be thinking how fortunate I am. And I'll be thanking you!

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LUV to hear from you! Please leave your thoughts so we can interact!!

Thanks for your support! I am so appreciative of your pins!

Thanks for your support! I am so appreciative of your pins!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...