Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Children's Lit Conference





Dateline University of Greensburg -- outside of Pittsburgh. Look at this amazing group of presenters for this years conference for teachers, librarians and lovers of books! A picture perfect spring day to be out on the campus exploring gazebos together. Can you find me among the dignitaries?? One clue: look for stripes and polka-dots!

I have some of the most interesting conversations in elevators and ladies restrooms regarding my choice of apparel. When I explain that I'm dressed as the illustrations I created for my first picture book, I am inevitably asked to go on further about my work. Honest-to-goodness. One time my attire resulted in a conversation that went on at length, resulting in that same first book of mine, "You're Wonderful" receiving inclusion in a national magazine article on picture books from fabric illustrations. You never know once the ice is broken, where a conversation might lead. I always joke that my fashion line is coming out next. The children always respond with enthusiasm to my whimsy, knowing something out-of-the-ordinary is about to happen and that's just the way I like it!!

My New Year's resolution is to work very hard to get to hear at least a portion of the speakers presenting when I'm on the road. I'm very thrilled to announce that I was able to listen in for more than a mere smidgen of THE Jim Aylesworth's morning keynote. MEMORABLE! He spoke. He sang. He did character voices. He plays instruments. He has a whole catalog of sound effects. The man is a marvel with the sound effect. He especially adores loud sound effects. He spoke about the need to keep young boys lured to books during their formative, early learning-to-read development. His solution? NOISE!! Lots of noise and sound effects -- the occasional burp or other mention of body parts etc, all during reading with surprises that jump out and startle and keep ya on your toes. His presentation was peppered with examples from his decades in the classroom as teacher -- which inspired many of his books, stories and poems.

He has written 35 books, has Ohio roots [Miami University] and I'll wave at him when I present at Concordia's annual back-to-school conference next month, 'cuz he lives right around the corner from the campus. There I hope I can arrange my day to listen in on THE Lilian Katz keynote! (I once shared a taxi with her at a NAEYC event, but now I digress.) Anyhow, loved Jim's work. LOVED it!! Inspiring. That's the two of us with his newest project, his rendition of the folk tale "The Mitten." He asked the gathered audience to have their students do a comparison study with the famous Jan Brett version and get back to him with the response.

The final picture is another fellow 'self-published-author-with-passion', Julie Bisi. She is launching a non-profit adventure involving literacy, young children, morals and often mathematics. How's that for an intriguing mixture? She's used my work in her program. I'll post the pictures she's shared in a subsequent post. It was fun to get caught up on each our adventures. We have each begun the process of learning our way around LinkedIN and pledge to encourage each other in that forum, too.

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. Spending the day with Debbie as a fellow presenter was truly a gift. Her enthusiasm in her work is inspiring to me as both an author and as a person. In addition to being an author, I am the co-founder and director of a non-profit organization called The Absolute Value of One which specializes in curriculum designed based on the concept of service-learning. We use Debbie's book, "You're Wonderful" in the kindergarten classroom. The best testimony I can give is when we were surprised at one of the closing ceremonies by the kindergarteners singing her song complete with the sign language. her book not only taught them the importance and the value of diversity, but also encouraged them to learn a new method for commucating with others. Debbie, I think 'you're wonderful!!' Keep up the good work, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spending the day with Debbie as a fellow presenter was truly a gift. Her enthusiasm in her work is inspiring to me as both an author and as a person. I am also the co-founder and director of a non-profit organization called The Absolute Value of One which specializes in curriculum designed based on the concept of service-learning. We use Debbie's book, "You're Wonderful," in the kindergarten classroom. The best testimony I can give occured when we a group of kindergarten students surprised us at a closing ceremony with thier rendition of 'You're Wonderful'---sign language included. Her book not only taught them the importance and value of diversity, but also encouraged them to learn a new method of communication. They were so proud and so were we! Debbie, I think 'you're wonderful!!' Keep up the good work, my friend!

    ReplyDelete

I LUV to hear from you! Please leave your thoughts so we can interact!!

Thanks for your support! I am so appreciative of your pins!

Thanks for your support! I am so appreciative of your pins!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...