Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Blogger's Social Media Magnetic "Abacus" for Tracking

HOW I CREATED A SOCIAL MEDIA TRACKING SYSTEM

Social Media Magnetic Abacus: Tangible Tracking for the Easily Distracted at RainbowsWithinReach


SOCIAL NETWORKING FOR BLOGGERS

Summer. For me this is the season to re-boot. Re-juvinate. Re-dedicate. Re-launch. Reconfigure. Restore. After an especially busy year of Author/Illustrator school visits and conference hopping, a general all 'round recombobulation is in order. I continue to make progress on figuring out the blog-o-spere, but there is so much more to learn. AND DO! 

If you have a blog, I don't need to tell you the importance of building your platform. BUT. Just how do you go about building ~~ and growing~~ that platform? Simple Answer: Expand your strength and visibility through social networking. You've heard that a million times before! DUH! Conquering social networking is undoubtedly the single most important strategy of the web. Where to begin? By being consistent! 

As much as I know the importance of social media, I sometimes FORGET to pop around through each of the various outlets. SQUIRREL! This summer is the perfect season for me to make that cyber networking a priority. SHINY OBJECT! I am just now in the process of instituting a new visual 'system' for helping to keep me on track. POLKA DOTS! And I'm excited to share. Why? Because: It's working! 

Magnetic Circles Used for Tracking Social Media Posts at RainbowsWithinReach

This all started with my 'discovering' a set of happy, polka dot magnets that I had purchased some time back in my travels. Oh happy day! All those spots! All those colors! Initially I just wanted to push them around and make different parades of color. Maybe you saw my excitement when I posted the photo on Instagram? {These gems are still available on the web. Beware there are other equally as awesome choices beyond the circles.}

Then I had a brainstorm! I could use these little magnets as a tracking system/reminder to move through out the various social networks over the course of any given day. OH HAPPY BREAKTHROUGH! Next to find a magnetic board. 


First. I went to the dollar store and got the smallest cookie sheet that they had. Turns out that was JUST too big [for me] to manage easily. Then I spent a lovely gray bit going up and down the aisles at Hobby Lobby. I found the perfect size magnetic backdrop! A tin pencil box! I had several choices! Sponge Bob, Hello Kitty, Lightning McQueen. All the biggies. A tough decision for sure, but I wanted the power of the FORCE! So my choice was obvious.


 
Social Networking for Bloggers at RainbowsWithinReach

YODA! Here's what the top looks like. Mine is approximately 7.5 inches wide and 4.25 inches tall. The bottom is plain silver and completely FLAT! The perfect size and dimensions for what I had in mind and for under three dollars! {I guess that means I will need to bake some cookies this summer?} 

With my magnetic backdrop and magnets, now time to develop a system. 
I decided that my top 5 social network platforms are: 

So I gathered up my magnets in color families.

Here's how I start the day. 
Each series of colors is up against the respective edge.
When I post to that network, I slide the magnet away from the edge. 
TA DA!!

Social Media Tracking System with Magnets at RainbowsWithinReach

*In the middle of my abacus I have four orange magnets. Those are to represent the number of blog articles I write each week. This summer my goal is to have three new blog posts per week. I put the fourth magnet there, as encouragement to earn some extra credit.   


My number one source of traffic to my blog is still Pinterest. I have written an entire tutorial {Encyclopedia} on how I use this ever growing, visual platform from an 'Entrepreneurial' perspective. In my article I outline at length how to gather followers, or at least how I have gathered mine. I currently have 152,594 in my pin-tribe and continue to grow daily. [One of the single most lucrative days I have ever had as an independent speaker was due to the committee chairperson discovering me on Pinterest and her assessment of my pins! So I take Pinterest quite seriously.] 

Pinterest Marketing Tutorial at RainbowsWithinReach
You simply must click picture and read my insights on Pinterest! 

Again. Below is what my abacus looks like at the beginning of the day. Each set of magnets is up against the edge. Then the big magic moment happens when I slide the magnet away from the wall, as I post to that social network. VOILA! I can see at a moment's glance, that as usual I have forgotten G+ or that it is now time to tweet or that I'd better move on to FB. [Why yes. I have two sets of magnets for FB: my personal wall and my fanpage. Don't get me started about FB.]

I have always known that I am a visual learner. This system reinforces that I am a kinesthetic-kid, too! I get so excited to mark my progress over the course of the day. The mere 'act' of the magnet moving an entire bit-of-an-inch makes it FEEL like I am doing something tangible. 
 

Social Media Magnetic Abacus: Tangible Tracking for the Easily Distracted at RainbowsWithinReach

True confessions. I have gotten somewhat obsessed focused on magnetic surfaces and polka dot magnets. Those of you that know me at all, know that I spend a LOT of time traveling and especially being the diva, driven down the road. Since I had enough magnets, I started searching for an even smaller magnet board to create a travel Pinterest-only abacus. 

Low and behold the Altoids container is JUST what I needed! 

Pinterest Tracking Magnetic Travel Abacus at RainbowsWithinReach

Let me be even more specific when it comes to my Pinning strategy. I follow a very strict (self-imposed) RULE that I pin four OTHER pins before I pin something from my own blog. Ye ol' 80/20 Pareto Principal. So. On my travel abacus I slide up four magnets, pinning from four other sources, before I pin from my own material. 

*Recently, I have started to Pin from Zulily as an associate of theirs. On my ninth pin in a sequence, I pin from Z to my board specific to Shopping and Saving. So the hot pink magnet is to remind me that every other series of five pins I can add a pin from the discount shopping source. Kapish? This way I know that I am never pinning more than 10% of my pins from an affiliate perspective.


And of course, once I complete a series of five pins (moving the magnets in one direction,) as I continue pinning, I just move the magnets back in the opposite direction. Back and forth, back and forth. And that, my friends, is how you end up pinning 28,895 pins over the span of a couple of years. 


Pinterest Directories for Educators by Topic with RainbowsWithinReach
Click pic to go to the first installment and find the other links there. 

If you're still here and you're a teacher...... you will want to check the tab at the top of my blog under Pinterest. I have hosted directories for teachers who pin from specific interest areas.  

I also hosted the same concept for Twitter. I had a total of three Twitter directories. Is this the summer you expand your Twitter-verse? Grow your PLN: Professional Learning Network? Become proficient with the hashtag? Then you'll want to click the picture below! 

Twitter Directory and LinkUP for Kindergarten Tweeps via RainbowsWithinReach
There's a lot of Twitter teacher insight by clicking pic
Helpful? I'd LUV to hear your 'system' and how you keep track!


Follow on Bloglovin

Pre-K, Kindergarten, First, Second, Third, Homeschooler - TeachersPayTeachers.com



I've gone shopping for you over at Amazon, where I am also an affiliate. 
When you click through and order -- you support my retirement account.
With a couple more pennies.  
THANKS!


2 comments:

  1. Debbie, this is genius! It's so up my alley as, like you, I NEED a visual! Social media kind of makes my head spin!
    I look forward to all of your posts and love to read about all of your travels!
    Linda
    AroundtheKampfire

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am totally inspired!! I even took a screen shot with my iphone and IGd it! I think your system would work well for my reading group area with student names on it! What do ya think? Thank you for continuing to inspire and help me to focus on the power of social media! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

I LUV to hear from you! Please leave your thoughts so we can interact!!

Thanks for your support! I am so appreciative of your pins!

Thanks for your support! I am so appreciative of your pins!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...